Motherlove is one of the most well-respected brands in the stretch mark care product industry, and we’ve heard great things about the Motherlove Pregnant Belly Oil, as well as their belly salve. Which is why we decided to see what it was all about and whether or not the hype was worth it.
Since Motherlove offers both the oil and the healing salve for stretch marks specifically, we thought we’d do a review of both.
Who is Motherlove?
As the name suggests, Motherlove is a family business, created by mothers for mothers. It looks to give new mothers everything they require. They offer a pregnancy line, as well as a birth/postpartum one, with items for breastfeeding and for baby care sprinkled in between.
What Can We Expect from Their Pregnant Belly Oil?
This specially designed oil sets out to deeply moisturize your pregnant belly and stretching skin, and help it accommodate the rapid weight gain and subsequent weight loss.
As we know, hydration is key when dealing with stretch marks, and can even help the appearance of them entirely. Because if the skin is more elastic, that means it’s better able to stretch, and so has fewer chances to tear as your belly grows.
- Motherlove Pregnant Belly Oil – What’s In It?
Looking at the ingredient list is crucial to understanding how effective a product can be. What immediately caught our eye about this belly oil is that it is vegan and cruelty-free.
And we were pleasantly surprised to discover that the belly oil contains no dangerous chemicals.
We take great care with the products we recommend, so as not to expose you to unhealthy ingredients. This is particularly important for women going through pregnancy, as harmful chemicals can seep into the skin and pass on to the baby. But luckily, the Motherlove Belly Oil is free of any of that.
- Lavender Oil, known by many for its’ soothing effect, leads the ingredient list of this belly oil. First and foremost, Lavender oil is deeply moisturizing. It can easily penetrate the skin and provide long-lasting moisture.
It’s also an effective antibacterial, meaning that it keeps your pores free of dirt, grime, and bacteria.
It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which allow it to soothe the redness and itchiness commonly associated with stretch marks. It also speeds up the healing of wounds, which is vital when treating fresh stretch marks.
- Marshmallow Root is another potent healing herb. It’s been used for centuries for its’ ability to speed up your natural healing process.
Like lavender, it helps regulate the moisture barrier and lock in moisture, leading you to naturally more hydrated skin. Also, like lavender, it has excellent anti-inflammatory agents, which battle redness as well as any other skin issues.
- Chamomile Flower has been known as a soother for ages. It’s often recommended in natural face masks and even cleanses.
It’s a veritable powerhouse of anti-oxidants, which will keep your skin clean and protected. It also has antiseptic properties, meaning it reacts well when used on wounds and encourages the healing process.
- Apricot Oil is an excellent emollient for your skin. Many people swear by it because, unlike other oils, it does not leave behind a greasy feeling.
It’s both used to moisturize, as well as soothe tired or damaged skin and protect it. It can have a potent revitalizing effect and can greatly improve the appearance of stretch marks.
Other great ingredients include Calendula and Rosehip, so as you see, it’s an all-natural belly oil. Which we just love.
What Are People Saying?
Most of the reviews for this belly oil are simply stellar. In the 30+ years, Motherlove’s been in existence, and it’s clearly amassed a loyal following, and for a good reason.
- Excellent smell, easy to tolerate even when sensitive to smell;
- Very soothing for itchy skin (a real issue when pregnant);
- Doesn’t feel greasy on the skin – so you don’t have to worry about it staining your clothes;
- Easy to apply and quickly absorbed;
- Long-lasting moisture.
- Not suited for people who don’t like lavender, as the smell is quite strong;
- Some thought it quite pricey.
Overall, we weren’t able to find really bad reviews. Some of the nay-sayers were upset that it didn’t prevent their stretch marks, but we’d like to point out that nothing can do that. Stretch marks are genetic, and if you’re inclined to get them, you will.
All a product can do is moisturize your skin and help it adapt to stretching more easily, which this belly oil seems to do.
How Should I Use It to Get the Best Results?
People seem to think that using hydrating oil is completely different from using a lotion. It’s not.
With the Motherlove Belly Oil, we suggest using it once in the morning and once in the evening, after a shower (so that your pores are nice and open). Take the time to really massage it into the skin to get the blood flowing.
There is quite a bit of debate about whether you should apply oil or moisturizer first. Still, we suggest doing the oil first if your skin is naturally more oily, and doing it after the moisturizer, if your skin tends towards the dry side, so that the oil can lock in moisture.
- How long until I see a difference in my stretch marks?
2-4 weeks. You need to give your skin time to regenerate before you can see an improvement in your marks.
- When should I start using the Belly Oil?
As soon as possible. You want to treat the stretch marks while they’re fresh so that they can better heal.
- Does it work on old stretch marks?
Not as well, but yes, it does. The belly oil will moisturize and encourage your stretch-marked skin to regenerate and grow new, healthy layers, but remember that the older a mark is, the harder it is to get out.
- Can I use it while pregnant?
Completely. As we’ve seen, it’s only made from natural, healthy products, so it’s completely safe.
- Should I use this if I have oily skin?
Yes, you should. The oil is non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t clog your pores. And the antibacterial and anti-oxidant properties of the oil can help clean out your pores.
What About the Motherlove Pregnant Belly Salve?
This natural Motherlove stretch mark cream is the perfect companion for the belly oil. Remember how we said you should use both a moisturizer and an oil? Well, we suggest you use the salve and oil together since they share many properties and can support each other’s effects.
The Motherlove Pregnant Belly Salve contains:
- Apricot Oil;
- Marshmallow Root;
- Lavender Oil;
So you’ve got all the yummy benefits of the Belly Oil, with a few awesome additions:
- Shea Butter is one of our favorite pregnancy moisturizers. It’s completely safe and deeply nurturing to the skin. And its high vitamin A content helps diminish the appearance of stretch marks. It works both to soothe and revitalize your skin.
- Beeswax is used to give body creams their consistency and is wonderful for stretch marks for two reasons: it’s both hydrating and healing. It’s an antibacterial that will keep your skin clean and soft, while gently boosting its natural healing process.
Reviews about Belly Salve?
The Motherlove Pregnant Belly Salve comes with a lot more reviews (mainly because people find it easier to use creams) and loads more rave reviews.
What people liked:
- Easy absorption;
- Nice smell;
- Free of harmful chemicals;
- Relieves itch.
What people didn’t like:
- It can stain your clothes, apparently;
- Can cause breakouts (remember to always do a patch test first!);
- Quite pricey.
So overall, people liked the salve as well as the belly oil, and judging by the great ingredient list, we have no doubt the salve works wonders, both in protecting and healing your skin, as well as locking in moisture.
As with the oil, it’s safe for use during pregnancy and non-comedogenic.
What Do We Say About It? Would We Recommend It?
Yes, we would recommend Motherlove’s pregnancy products.
We encourage you to try out the oil and salve combo to keep your skin hydrated throughout and after your pregnancy.
Both the products seem to be highly efficient and do what they’re supposed to. And once again, a huge plus is that they don’t contain any chemical baddies.
However, we understand that not everyone might be taken by Motherlove’s products.
If you feel like this is not for you, we recommend checking out the Mama Bee Belly Butter or the Mama Mio stretch mark products. Both of these brands offer excellent and safe skincare products that are quite budget-friendly.