The Mama Mio Stretch Marks range of products has long been in our books as some of the most efficient creams out there. We did a brief review of the Mama Mio The Tummy Rub Butter before and are now delighted to be coming back to this brand for a more in-depth look.
That being said, we pride ourselves on our honest, unbiased reviews and never fail to note any potential shortcomings of a product.
Mama Mio Stretch Mark Cream, Butter and Oil – Reviewed
Mama Mio brand is one of the first brands to focus their products exclusively on pregnancy skincare. They tend to employ loads of healthy, organic ingredients in their products, and a few unhealthy chemicals as possible.
Throughout the sixteen years it’s been on the market, Mama Mio has managed to amass an immense, international loyal following that went on to use their products long after pregnancy, which says something about the Mama Mio brand.
In this article, we’ll be going through their complete range designed to treat and prevent those unsightly stretch marks, but for now, let’s start with…
1. The Mama Mio Goodbye Stretch Marks Minimiser
How does Stretch Mark Minimiser work?
Mainly, it’s as it sounds. A minimiser is specifically designed to reduce the appearance of already existing stretch marks, so I’m afraid if it’s prevention you’re after, this product is not for you.
A minimiser focuses on a unique blend of fading agents to diminish the stretch mark, both old and new. It also employs ingredients that boost the skin’s natural healing system, which can help new (red, brown, purple) stretch marks fade away more naturally.
The Mama Mio Minimiser uses a combination of peptides to reduce the stretch marks’ texture.
Matrixyl 3000 TM is a peptide that’s believed to increase collagen production. According to the manufacturers, peptides work “by tricking your fibroblast cells into believing they are damaged, so they need to increase the production of collagen and elastin.”
Pretty neat, huh?
So, What can We Expect?
According to Mama Mio, you can expect this concentrated formula to reduce the appearance of your stretch marks and fade them away in as little as twelve weeks. According to the customer reviews, however, it does not seem to be quite so efficient, though even the negative reviews note that it’s a worthy moisturizer, so there is that, at least.
A Peek at the Ingredient List
We’re firm believers that customers should look at the ingredient list before buying a skincare product, so they know what they’re exposing themselves to and what they can truly expect from a product.
- Aloe Vera Juice
What you need to know about Aloe Vera is that it’s a natural healing agent, which means it will come to your skin’s aid in its’ natural healing process (excellent for new stretch marks).
Aloe Vera has also been shown to boost collagen production and collagen cross-linking, both essential in repairing damaged skin, as well as improving the skin’s elasticity, and thus preparing it for future stretching.
On top of it all, Aloe Vera works as a fabulous skin softener, which is important in healing stretch marks and replenishing the natural moisture barrier.
Squalane is a little known, but extremely potent agent in the fight against stretch marks. It can be found within the human body (though production slows down with age), in sharks’ livers, as well as from olive oil (thus providing a cruelty-free alternative).
Squalane works chiefly to replenish your skin’s moisture barrier (profoundly affected by the tearing that produced the stretch marks). It also builds the skin’s elasticity by encouraging collagen and elastin production, which makes it great for preventing future stretch marks, as well.
- Sweet Almond Oil
Sweet Almond Oil is a phenomenal, organic skin moisturizer, as it both restores lost moisture, as well as fortifies the barrier, making your skin less prone to dryness and tearing.
It is high in a wide array of vitamins, including E, A, B2, and F.
Vitamin E is both an excellent emollient, as well as an anti-oxidant, keeping your skin clean and protected from external damage, creating the optimal atmosphere for new cell growth.
Vitamin A is a well-known treatment for stretch marks, thanks to its’ collagen-boosting properties. Vitamin A works wonders in filling in those tiny ‘cracks’ created by stretch marks and conferring unto the skin a plumper, healthier look.
Vitamin B2 helps the skin’s mucus production (necessary) and promotes healthy cell turnover, while vitamin F is essentially healthy fat that strengthens the skin’s protective layer.
Aside from all this, sweet almond oil is also rich in potassium, zinc, and proteins, all of which are quite potent in healing damaged skin.
- Water Lily Extract
This is yet another excellent ingredient that aids your stretch-marked skin. Water Lily Extract helps to balance out the skin’s cell regeneration and boost its’ speed, helping skin heal faster.
It also works to soothe irritated skin, which can be useful if you’re dealing with fresh stretch marks.
Water Lily tries to draw out the toxins and, thus, rid your skin of dirt from the inside out so that healthy growth can occur.
Something that we have always loved about Mama Mio products is that they are remarkably free of unhealthy chemicals, or, as they like to put it, follow a ‘no nasties’ policy. They are free from parabens, petrolatum, colorants, xenoestrogens, PEGs, and phthalates, which is a major plus in our book.
The only bad ingredient we were able to find was Tocopheryl Acetate, a form of hydroquinone, which acts as a skin lightener. While not necessarily dangerous as is, prolonged use of this can seriously damage the skin’s pigment, so buyers be warned.
How to get the most out of it:
Whereas most stretch mark products are recommended to be used twice daily, Mama Mio goes a step above that and asks its’ customers to rub the Minimiser into the affected area three times per day, over twelve weeks.
They also recommend taking Before and After pictures to document your progress, which we think is a really good idea. Often, because we’re used to be looking at our own bodies so much, we tend to overlook or overestimate such changes, so taking pics might give you a better, more realistic idea as to how much your skin is changing.
Some Good, Some Bad…
To understand each product, we have an extensive look around the reviews area. For this Minimiser, here’s what we were able to come up with:
- Thoroughly softens the skin;
- Does not expose you to unhealthy chemicals;
- Some great, natural ingredients;
- Several people saw a difference in their stretch marks;
- Absorbs into your skin fast, leaving you with a pleasant, hydrated feeling;
- Can also help fade away the redness that comes with newer stretch marks.
- It’s quite an expensive product and needs to be used quite a lot, so it might end up costing you a pretty penny;
- Some noted a yucky smell when ordering off Amazon;
- As always, some people did not see a difference.
P.S.: At the time of writing, the Minimiser is not in stock on the official website, but can be purchased through Amazon.
Aloe Vera Juice, Squalane, Sweet Almond Oil, Water Lily Extract
2. The Mama Mio Three-Step Action Plan
Another aspect we like about Mama Mio is that they not only provide stretch mark creams but have a product for every step in your stretch mark journey.
To get rid of damaged skin and promote healthy skin cell regeneration, it’s vital that you exfoliate regularly, to remove dirt and dead cells that might be clogging your pores. After exfoliation, it’s also essential that you use a cream or body butter to thoroughly moisturize the fresh skin layer that’s just been exposed.
It’s recommended that you follow up this by using a hydrating oil to seal in the moisture and provide a long-lasting effect.
And Mama Mio has you covered all along the way.
Step One: Mama Mio The Tummy Rub Scrub
This gentle scrub is just what the doctor ordered, especially if your skin is extra-sensitive from pregnancy. It’s gentle enough so that you can use it on a daily basis, but just rough enough to efficiently remove dirt and build-up.
The Tummy Rub Scrub follows a unique blend of:
- Shea Butter – with its’ high concentration of fatty acids, Shea Butter provides a softening, moisturizing effect, which makes it an ideal ingredient for lotions and scrubs alike, as it counters the ‘rougher’ impact of the other ingredients;
- Volcanic Lava – burns away impurities, or rather, gently draws them out of the skin, while at the same time, nourishing your skin’s natural, healthy oils and minerals;
- Papaya Extract – full of an enzyme called papain, which works by eliminating dead skin cells and breaking down dormant proteins, removing them from the skin;
According to customers, it’s:
- not too harsh on the skin and leaves a soft, clean feeling;
- smells amazing;
- also great for getting rid of that pesky pregnancy acne without irritating the skin.
Since there are relatively few reviews, it didn’t seem to have any downsides, and considering all the yummy ingredients, as well as the Mama Mio ‘No Nasties’ policy, we don’t see how it could be harmful, and so heartily recommend you give Mama Mio The Tummy Rub Scrub a try.
How to Use: Gently rub the scrub over your skin in small, circular motions, to gently remove dead cells and dirt. When you’ve covered the entire desired area, rinse with warm water.
At the time of writing, the Tummy Rub Scrub can be purchased both on the original website, through the link above, and Amazon.
Shea Butter, Volcanic Lava, Papaya Extract
Step Two: Mama Mio The Tummy Rub Butter
The Tummy Rub Butter is a much-loved stretch mark cream that doubles as a potent moisturizer and is thoroughly recommended for both expecting mothers, or people who are looking to prevent the appearance of stretch marks altogether, as well as those who are trying to minimize and fade away already existing marks.
It works because it has:
- Argan Oil – a rich source of omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids, Argan Oil, is known as a potent emollient. It boosts the skin’s elasticity by encouraging the production of collagen and elastin;
- Coconut Oil – one of the most well-known natural moisturizers out there, coconut oil also has excellent anti-inflammatory properties. This means it’s particularly useful in treating and soothing those ‘angry’ red stretch marks and keeping the skin clean of dirt and bacteria that might impair the healing process;
- Rosehip Oil – made from the seeds of roses (isn’t that lovely?), rosehip oil can boost the regeneration of damaged skin cells. It’s been known to reduce the appearance of new stretch marks in women who had previously gotten them, and for this reason, we count it an excellent stretch mark ingredient;
- Avocado Oil – very potent in stimulating the production of collagen in the body, and thus making the skin more elastic, avocado oil can help your skin regenerate and heal after it’s been over-stretched and it’s also known to hydrate and prevent the apparition of new marks efficiently.
Mama Mio The Tummy Rub Butter is a customer favorite because:
- it absorbs well into the skin and doesn’t leave a greasy residue;
- it can soothe itchiness (really good for pregnant ladies, whose skin is extra sensitive);
- it has a lovely, creamy texture that leaves the skin feeling pampered.
The only negative aspect seems to be:
- that it’s quite expensive and the jar is a bit small, meaning it might run out rather fast, especially if you’re planning on using it over a larger area.
It seems to be effective in hydrating the skin and thus preventing new stretch marks from appearing, as well as fading away existing ones.
User Tips: Massage well into freshly washed skin twice daily, morning, and night.
P.S.: Right now, the Tummy Rub Butter only seems to be available through Amazon.
Argan Oil, Coconut Oil, Rosehip Oil, Avocado Oil
Step Three: Mama Mio The Tummy Rub Oil
Finally, a hydrating oil works because of its’ occlusive effect. That means it seals in the moisture provided both by itself and by the Tummy Rub Butter, ensuring that your skin is well nurtured and reasonably safe from damaging agents.
Also, the Tummy Rub Oil is a great addition to your skincare routine because it gives you an excellent chance to massage your skin, which stimulates the circulation of the blood, which can, in turn, improve the production of collagen, as well as encourage the healing process.
Mama Mio The Tummy Rub Oil is…
- Organic Sachi Inchi Oil – a fabulous, albeit less well known anti-aging ingredient. Derived from the pracaxi tree, this organic oil is full of anti-oxidants, omega-3, -6, and -9 fatty acids and proteins – this all works to both cleanse the skin and build a protective barrier around it, while at the same time thoroughly moisturizing it.
It’s also a great source of vitamin E and A, both well-known in the treatment and prevention of stretch marks.
- Coconut Oil – which, as we’ve seen, has many excellent properties.
- Olive Oil – though there’s been no scientific research to back this yet, olive oil is a very popular, natural remedy for stretch marks, due to it being chock-full of anti-oxidants and vitamin E, helping both to cleanse and protect, as well as reach deep into the skin and strengthen the moisture barrier, leading to long-lasting hydration.
- Avocado Oil and Sweet Almond Oil.
What are people saying?
- It doesn’t leave a greasy sensation or stain clothes, especially if you take the time to rub it in properly;
- Smells excellent;
- A bottle will last you a long time.
Okay, okay, so what’s the catch?
- Remember that great smell? Might not be such a hot idea during pregnancy, when your nose grows extra sensitive;
- Delivery through Amazon seems to have been somewhat faulty, so we advise ordering through the official website (currently available).
You should: Rub the oil between your palms for a moment, to heat it up a little (promotes absorption), and then lather unto the affected skin. Use this twice daily, after a shower, and after using the other Tummy Rub products.
Organic Sachi Inchi Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil and Sweet Almond Oil
Verdict Time: Which Stretch Mark Product should I choose?
Well, we understand why some people had trouble with the Minimiser and how it might not work as well as expected, so judging by the much lower reviews that one had, we’d advise you to give it a pass.
However, we thoroughly encourage you to try the whole Tummy Rub three-step formula, because it has some of the best reviews we’ve ever seen for stretch mark products, and because exfoliation and hydration are the two critical aspects in treating/preventing stretch marks.
So, if you’re going to do that, might as well do it with products that have received good grades, right?
Here, we seek to answer some of the most frequently asked questions of customers, like…
How long does it take for results to show?
Results should kick in for prevention right away, meaning you should never see stretch marks. For treatment, for both the Tummy Rub products and the Minimiser, we recommend giving it at least two months before giving up on it.
Are the results for good?
Yes, Mama Mio doesn’t try to hoodwink you – if they helped prevent/fade stretch marks, then you can rest assured results are permanent.
Are the Mama Mio products safe for use during pregnancy?
Yes, thanks to their ‘No Nasties’ policy, the Mama Mio products are particularly safe for use during pregnancy and while breastfeeding.
Tip: Mama Mio recommends using these products both during pregnancy, as well as for four months after birth, as you slowly lose the weight, and your body gets back to normal.
Any Last Words?
It seems we’ve reached the end of our Mama Mio review, and it’s time for us to impart some ultimate knowledge about these products. As we said, we were quite impressed with the brand, to begin with, and this further dive into their products has only helped fortify that opinion.
We can safely recommend the Mama Mio products and can only note that the only issue with them might be the somewhat high price. But judging by the many satisfied customers, the price is well worth it in saving you all that stretch mark anxiety.
Besides, from what we’ve gathered, their products seem to last for quite a long time, so that shouldn’t be an issue.
If you feel the Mama Mio brand is not for you, no worries, there are plenty of stretch mark cream reviews around, so we’re sure you’ll find something to your liking, if only you have enough patience.
We particularly recommend Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula, if you’re looking for a hydrating product that’s more ‘budget-friendly’.