We’ve talked before about the many benefits of using shea butter for stretch marks, but what’s the best shea butter product you can use?
While there is an option, of course, to use raw shea butter, many opt for a specially designed shea butter stretch mark cream, as this is less greasy and easier to use.
In this article, we set out to give you a full and totally unbiased review of the best shea butter out there, so that regardless if you choose to use raw butter or a shea butter cream, we’ve got you covered!
Comparison Table of Shea Butter Products
|Product||What We Liked||Cost per Ounce||Best For…|
|Unrefined African Shea Butter||
|Palmer’s Shea Formula||
|Certified Organic Raw Shea Butter – PBH||
||Dark Stretch Marks|
|Cleopatra’s Choice 100% Pure Shea Butter||
|L’Occitane Pure Shea Butter||
|African Shea Butter 100% Natural RA Cosm||
|African Shea Butter by OKAY||
|Shea Butter by NOW Foods||
|Naturise Shea Butter||
So Which Shea Butter Cream Is Best for Stretch Marks?
In order to determine this, we look at the ingredient list and the customer testimonials to figure out which product does what.
1. Unrefined African Shea Butter – Best Organic
This unrefined, 100% pure shea butter comes across as one of the healthiest options out there.
- Doesn’t contain any bad chemicals or indeed anything, other than the raw shea butter itself;
- Can be used on its own and in DIY body butters;
- Very luxurious feel;
- Cleared dark stretch marks;
- Very moisturizing (some say it prevented stretch marks altogether);
- Smell is quite strong;
- Greasy after-feel;
- Some received a spoiled product.
This seems to be the real deal, as far as organic shea butter is concerned. It had an overwhelming amount of great reviews, so we’re wholeheartedly recommending it.
2. Palmer’s Shea Formula
Palmer’s is one of the most famous brands out there. We’ve loved their stuff in the past, so let’s see if their Shea Formula stays true to the Palmer reputation.
- Mostly natural ingredients;
- Combines shea butter with cocoa butter (we actually have an article talking about the different benefits of the two);
- Soothes pregnant itchy skin;
- ‘Worked wonders’ on stretch marks and seems to reduce them;
- Nice scent.
- Contains benzyl salicylate, which can cause allergic reactions;
- They seem to have changed the formula (doesn’t seem to be as popular).
While we don’t like the benzyl salicylate, we’re impressed with the outstanding claims of efficiency against stretch marks.
3. Certified Organic Raw Shea Butter by Perfect Body Harmony – Best for Dark Stretch Marks
This unrefined, pure shea butter sure comes with great recommendations, but do they hold up?
- Only contains 100% pure shea butter;
- Feels great on the skin;
- ‘Lightened the appearance of stretch marks’, ‘faded out stretch marks and scars’;
- Very moisturizing.
- Very oily;
- Difficult to spread.
While this shea butter has a lot of people swearing by it, it also has a fair amount of negative reviews. Overall, it seems to be quite a good product though, particularly efficient for stretch marks, and a good idea if you’re looking to pamper yourself.
4. Cleopatra’s Choice – 100% Pure Shea Butter – Best Quality
At first glance, Cleopatra’s Choice comes across as a quality product at a very reasonable price.
- Seems to be 100% pure with no added chemicals;
- Very versatile and easy to use;
- Deeply hydrating;
- Soothes itchiness;
- Diminished stretch marks;
- Lasts a lot.
- Some received damaged/spoiled products;
- Can be quite hard.
While we love what we hear about this product, we would like to point out that it contains no added fragrance, which means it won’t smell as soft or as nice as you might be used to. Other than that, buy with trust!
5. L’Occitane Pure Shea Butter – Best for Splurge
L’Occitane is a famous, very trusted skincare brand, so we had high hopes going into this review.
- Soothes itchy pregnancy skin;
- A little goes a long way;
- Easy to apply;
- Great smell;
- Safe to use on baby skin as well;
- Great for dry skin;
- Pure shea butter.
- On the expensive side;
- Small container;
This product left us with mixed feelings. While many found it was great, others had some quite solid complaints. Considering the high price, we’d recommend this for a gift or if you want to splurge a little, but probably not for daily use or if you’re going to cover a big area.
6. African Shea Butter 100% Natural by RA Cosmetics – Best for Budget
This stuff comes in a huge jar. The appearance itself is a bit underwhelming, but the price is unbeatable.
- No added chemicals;
- Amazing price;
- Also efficient in clearing up acne;
- Goes well into DIY creams as well as standalone;
- Faded stretch marks;
- Very versatile;
- Creamy feel.
- Bad packaging;
- Might leave skin a little yellow;
- Gritty, some say.
Honestly, we’re quite taken with this. While there were some issues, it seems, they weren’t worse than what we’ve seen with other, pricier shea butters. As for the packaging, it probably could be better, but then, you’d pay more.
7. African Shea Butter by OKAY – Best for Pregnancy
Similarly to the previous review, this butter also comes with great reviews and an excellent price.
- Many used during pregnancy, both for prevention and stretch mark removal;
- It’s pure, with no added smells or chemicals;
- Smooth and easy application;
- Good value for money.
- The yellow variant may leave a slight tint on skin/clothes;
- Strong smell (though that does mean it’s pure…);
- Small container.
Overall, it seems this product has a lot more happy customers than unhappy ones. And since it’s 100% natural and quite cheap, we’re heartily recommending for pregnancy (since you’ll be using quite a lot).
8. Shea Butter by NOW Foods
This shea butter is Amazon’s Choice, so we have pretty big expectations.
- 100% pure;
- Easily absorbed;
- Very spreadable;
- ‘Zero stretch marks’;
- Highly moisturizing;
- Decent price.
- Somewhat grainy;
- A lot of people seem to have had trouble with later batches.
Honestly, we think this is another great option. Probably a perfect idea if you want something in the middle price range.
9. Naturise Shea Butter – Raw, Organic, Unrefined – Best for Dry Skin
Something that caught our attention with this one was that they offer a ‘Wonder Cream Recipe’ for a DIY body moisturizer. We think that’s a nice touch, but not the only great thing about this product.
- Really cute jar;
- Free of toxins, pesticides, chemicals, minerals & 100% organic;
- USDA approved;
- Great for prevention;
- Great for skin renewal;
- Easily melts into skin;
- Softens scar tissue.
- Smell too ‘strange’ for some;
- Some got a bad batch.
Wow, we liked this product. It’s effective, it’s pure, and honestly, we found no negative reviews of any substance. We also love that it’s a good middle price so that you won’t feel like you’re getting the cheapest thing out there, but won’t break the bank either.
While we’d recommend all these products, we have to pick out a few favorites.
The Naturise Shea Butter made a great impression and seemed to be of high quality for a reasonable price.
We loved the number of great reviews from pregnant ladies that African Shea Butter by OKAY got.