There are many women who want to know how to remove stretch marks. These red, purple, white, or silver lines are very common and can be somewhat embarrassing. This is especially true when wearing a bathing suit. Some women will refuse to wear a two piece suit simply because their stretch marks are so noticeable.
However, there are some stretch mark treatments available today to help reduce the appearance of stretch marks. You can also prevent stretch marks from appearing in the first place with the continued use of some products.
Five Ways to Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Below you will find the top five solutions for stretch marks. Some are very expensive and can be painful. Others are as easy as applying a lotion or cream. Each individual will get different results based upon their skin type.
- Laser Stretch Mark Removal: This is a surgical option that requires many visits to the doctor’s office to complete. It can be very expensive, usually between $400 and $1500 per visit. Sometimes anesthesia is needed to provide pain relief. There are risks involved anytime anesthesia is used and the results are not always guaranteed. This treatment is not usually covered under most insurance plans.
- Microdermabrasion for Stretch Marks: This treatment involves the use of Aluminum oxide crystals that are used to remove the top layer of skin. While it seems somewhat effective on reducing the appearance of red or purple marks, it is not that effective on the white or silver stretch marks. The drawbacks to this treatment are the cost and the amount of time spent in treatment. Most microdermabrasion treatments take up to 12 visits to complete, with two weeks’ time in between appointments. It can also be rather expensive. A typical treatment will cost approximately $200.
- Surgery to Remove Stretch Marks: Cosmetic surgery may also be an option for some people. This carries inherent risks, as anesthesia is usually administered. There can be other scarring if the procedure is not done correctly, and there is significant downtime for recovery. It is also cost-prohibitive for many people.
- Tummy Tuck Operations for Stretch Marks: While many women dream of getting a tummy tuck, the cost is usually the deciding factor. There is an extended downtime for this specific surgical operation and resulting pain should also be considered. While it has been shown to be effective, there are other non-invasive means to treat stretch marks.
- Stretch Mark Removal Cream and Stretch Mark Lotion: For many women, this is the best course of action for treating stretch marks. It is effective, less expensive, and does not usually have any side effects. It does, however, require repeated applications. Most of the creams and lotions recommend application at least twice a day. These creams are also very effective as a means in preventing stretch marks.
Is There a Way to Hide Stretch Marks?
There are some types of cosmetics that are very good at hiding stretch marks. However, you may want to check the label to be sure they are waterproof if you will be outside or in the water. Tanning will also help some people but there are some skin tones where tanning will make these marks more visible.
There are ways to prevent and treat stretch marks. Some treatment options work better for certain people than others. Consider all of the options you have on how to remove stretch marks before deciding which one is best for you.